Discover fiery volcanic landscapes and icy glaciers at a relaxed hiking pace in the enchanting surroundings of Iceland’s eastern highlands.
Hike along Askja crater, glimpse glacial ice caves and enjoy soothing wellness moments in outdoor hot springs. Relax in the comfort of a short but comprehensive hiking getaway with plenty of time in the evening to soak up some rays from Midnight Sun of summer.
Day 1: Our day begins with a pick-up in the town of Egilsstaðir before driving to Kárahnúkar Dam and onwards along the highland road towards Askja. En-route we stop for a moment of outdoor spa wellness at Laugavalladalur natural hot springs. When we reach the Askja volcanic area we hike to Víti crater lake filled with warm water of 30°C (86°F). Viti was created following the eruption of the Askja volcano in 1875. Our day ends in the Kverkfjöll mountain hut for dinner and an overnight stay.
Day 2: In the Kverkfjöll Mountains we take a walk on the icy side on an adventurous glacier hike. Here you explore a veritable “ice world” where underground hot springs have hollowed out spectacular caves underneath the ice. On our way back to Egilsstaðir we visit the highland oasis of Hvannalindir and a gigantic lava field. The tour ends in Egilsstaðir or at your accommodation.
20 June – 5 September
Other dates available upon request
|Minimum on the tour:
2 adults or minimum rate.
Day 1. hiking 2-3 hrs.
Day 2. hiking 3 – 4 hrs.
|Trip difficulty: 2 – 3 out of 5 possible.
Click here for more information about difficulty levels.
You need to bring: Good shoes for light walking, warm clothes that suit the weather, waterproof clothes, sleeping bag, food & drinks.
● Reservation is necessary at least 48 hours in advance.
● If you need pick up service to your hotel please advice when you reserve the tour.
● If you need to be picked up outside of Egilsstaðir please advice, an additional charge may apply.
● Due to weather and/or road conditions we might have to alter the itinerary, have longer journey time or cancellation of the tour.
● Departure dates may vary depending on weather and road conditions.
● For group offers or tailor-made options please send us a request.