The uninhabited highlands of East Iceland are full of concealed treasures awaiting your discovery on a three-day hiking tour. Experience a memorable journey of hiking among glaciers, natural hot springs, the isolated interior, impressive canyons, volcanic calderas, and lake-filled craters.
The variety and beauty of Icelandic nature never ceases to amaze visitors.
Price Per Person: 129900 ISK
Day 1: Our tour starts in the town of Egilsstaðir with a drive to Kárahnúkar Dam, a man-made wonder that reveals impressive views in a deep canyon below. We cross the highland road towards the Kverkfjöll Mountains stopping along the way for an outdoor soak at Laugavalladalur hot springs. We arrive at the Kverkfjöll mountain hut in time for dinner and to fit the glacier equipment needed for the long hiking day ahead.
Day 2: With an early start we take a short drive towards the glacier. From there we hike up the Kverkjökull outlet before going up the icecap itself leading us to the Gengissig caldera. We continue to Hveradalur geothermal valley in an epic meeting of fire and ice. Here you take in the panoramic view towards Dyngjujökull glacier, Askja volcanic area, and Herðubreið mountain. The stunning scenery from this vantage point has to be seen to be believed. After a rigorous day of glacier hiking, we celebrate with an Icelandic-style BBQ party.
Day 3: On our way back to Egilsstaðir we visit the highland oasis of Hvannalindir, a lava field of Icelandic “hraun” and other places of interest. The tour ends in Egilsstaðir or at your accommodation.
25 June – 5 September, operated upon request.
|Minimum on the tour:
2 adults or minimum rate.
Day 1. 10 hrs.
Day 2. 10 – 12 hrs.
Day 3. 8 – 9 hrs.
|Trip difficulty: 4 out of 5 possible.
● Reservation is necessary at least 72 hours in advance.
● If you need pick up service to your hotel please advice when you reserve the tour.
● If you need to be picked up outside of Egilsstaðir please advice, an additional charge may apply.
● Due to weather and/or road conditions we might have to alter the itinerary, have longer journey time or cancellation of the tour.
● Departure dates may vary depending on weather and road conditions.
● For group offers or tailor-made options please send us a request.
To see our terms and conditions click here.