Hiking among Stórurð’s labyrinth of giant boulders surrounded by vividly colored aqua-blue ponds and charming mossy meadows is truly magical – even for Iceland. This secret valley lies just beneath a small glacier west of Dyrfjöll Mountains and was most likely created by a glacial landslide at the end of the last Ice Age.
From a distance, the rounded grey rocks resemble a giant’s pebbles scattered along the basin. The mystical scenery found at Stórurð is unlike anyplace else in Iceland.
(If weather permits)
|Minimum on the tour:
2 adults or minimum rate.
|Duration: 8-9 hrs.
Drive: 2 hrs.
Hike: 5-6 hrs.
At 08 AM during the summer.
At 09 AM during the winter.
|Trip difficulty: 3 out of 5 possible.
Click here for more information about difficulty levels.
If you want a private tour please contact us for more information.
You need to bring: Good hiking shoes, warm clothes, rain gear, small backpack, drinks, and snack.
● Reservation is necessary at least 48 hours in advance.
● If you need pick up service to your hotel please advice when you reserve the tour.
● If you need to be picked up outside of Egilsstaðir please advice, an additional charge may apply.
● Due to weather and/or road conditions we might have to alter the itinerary, have longer journey time or cancellation of the tour.
● Departure dates may vary depending on weather and road conditions.
● For group offers or tailor-made options please send us a request.
To see our terms and conditions click here.